Why you want to sous vide artichokes
Put simply, sous vide artichokes taste amazing. Using artichokes out of a can, can be very underwhelming. When you cook them conventionally on a stove you need to watch the heat constantly and adjust it along the way to control the cooking process. But cooking sous vide artichoke rocks.
The lower temperature and longer cooking time gives enough time for the marinade to work deep into the chokes and there is less discoloration. The flavor is intensified because everything is tightly bagged, no aroma can escape.
Picking artichokes for sous vide cooking
The biggest tip here is to try to find young and very fresh artichokes. These will deliver more delicious results. Size is also an important consideration. Check sous vide recipes carefully for instructions on whether to cook the artichoke whole or alternatively to cut it up into smaller pieces. The size of your artichoke is likely to impact your sous vide cooking time.
How to prepare globe artichokes for cooking
Artichokes can be a little tricky to prepare. Here is a helpful quick video from Eat Nomiku to give you some pointers:
Feedback from sous vide artichoke loving folks
There is nothing better than turning to experienced sous vide artichoke lovers for some hints and tips on creating delicious sous vide artichokes every time:
- Trim off a lot of the artichoke leaves otherwise you are more likely to get air pockets in your vacuum sealer or ziplock bag
- If you do have some problems with floating bags, think about using a sous vide rack. This is particularly helpful if you are sous viding more than one food bag of artichokes
- Consider frying some garlic in butter until golden and then add it to your food pouch with your artichokes. It’s delicious!
- For best results don’t use too much salt and consider adding some fish sauce instead
- A few sous vide artichoke recipes call for lemon. Experiment with how much you add (or consider leaving lemon out altogether) as it can be a little overpowering
- If you are working with a recipe that contains a decent amount of liquid or marinade, consider cooking your sous vide artichoke for a little longer than the recipe recommends
- For a restaurant quality finish, consider popping your sous vide artichokes on the grill after cooking
Sous vide artichoke tips from Reddit
Social media has revolutionized the cooking experience. Not only do you now have access to a ridiculously large range of sous vide recipes, but online forums allow you to share all things sous vide with other sous viders around the world so easily. Reddit is a popular online community forum where people share ideas, hints and tips. Reddit has a super huge sous vide cooking community forum.
Sous vide artichoke recipe inspiration
Keen to give sous vide artichokes a go? Here are 3 recipes to inspire you.
Sous Vide Artichoke Antics
So there you have it – your comprehensive guide to sous vide artichokes. Get out there and give it a go. After all, sous vide cooking is about experimenting and sous vide artichokes could well become your new “wow worthy” sous vide dish.
Don’t forget to let us know how you go. We love sharing hints and tips with other cooking enthusiasts in our sous vide community.
Join the Sous Vide Hub community today. You can subscribe my clicking here.
Relevant articles and links