What is sous vide cooking
When you think about cooking meals in your own kitchen how do you feel about these 4 words – PERFECT RESULTS, EVERY TIME? Sous vide cooking enables you to produce restaurant quality cooking results that are impossible to achieve through any other cooking method.
Sous vide cooking turns you, the home cook, into a restaurant quality chef. Yes that’s right. Meat with no dry edges or rare centers but instead a juicy consistency and intense flavors. Crisp and tasty vegetables with locked in flavor. Delectable, easy to make desserts. You can even wow your guests with sous vide cocktails!
With sous vide cooking, your food comes out perfectly moist and tender every time you cook. The technique which uses continuous temperature control, provides reliable and consistent results every time. What’s more, meals are easy to prepare and leave you with time to put your feet up. Want to hear more? Read on.
In this article, we take a close look at the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precison Cooker Nano. Anova Culinary are a market leader in the sous vide cooking appliance market and sell other highly successful sous vide precision cookers (also known as immersion circulators).
Related article: Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker 800 watts Bluetooth Review
What is the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Nano?
The Anova Precision Cooker (also known as an immersion circulator) Nano is the latest model in the Anova Culinary range of sous vide machines. As with their other sous vide models, you attach the Nano to the edge of your water bath (saucepan or larger water container), drop in your food pouches and away you go.
Below we take a closer look at the Anova Nano model and compare it to other sous vide immersion circulators in the Anova Culinary range.
In a hurry – the Anova Culinary Nano sous vide immersion circulator at a glance
The Nano was launched in June 2018 with updated technology based on 10+ years of building the most popular sous vide devices on the market. The Nano precision cooker is the lastest sous vide immersion circulator model from Anova Culinary, one of the market leaders in sous vide cooking machines.
If you don’t have time to read the finer details of this review, here are the key points in summary format:
- The Nano has a lower wattage than other sous vide immersion circulators in the Anova Culinary range, which means it takes longer to heat up water
- It is best for smaller cooks. Other Anova Culinary precision cookers can handle a larger water bath and therefore cook more food at once
- If you are after a compact unit, this could be the immersion circulator for you. It’s small. Smaller than all other Anova models and just a little larger than the Joule precision cooker.
- Any pot you use with the Nano needs to be at least 7 inches tall
- The Nano is a quieter, WiFi enabled lab-grade sous vide precision cooker. You DO NOT have to use the WiFi capability
- It’s perfect if you’re new to sous vide or looking for an additional cooker to add to your sous vide cooking arsenal
- Temperature range: 32 degree Fahrenheit – 197 degree Fahrenheit
- Great price point for those looking to get into sous vide cooking
Using the Anova Nano sous vide immersion circulator is easy
Simply attach the Anova Precision Cooker Nano to a pot, add water, drop in desired food in a sealed bag or glass jar.
Start cooking with the touch of a button on the Nano devide directly or via Bluetooth (you don’t have to use the Bluetooth technology).
The Nano’s timer and precise temperature control allow you to step away and relax while your food cooks perfectly. No additional equipment is needed.
Remove your food pouch from your pot once cooked and give it a quick sear, blow torch or BBQ (if desired) before serving. Bon appetit!
Pros and Cons of the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Nano
Pros in detail
- It is smaller and sleeker than the older Anova Culinary sous vide immersion circulator models (but only marginally). The 12.8″ Anova Precision Cooker Nano stows away in any kitchen drawer next to the whisk and ladle, so your counters stay uncluttered and your favorite new cooking tool stays within reach. It’s just a little larger than the competition (Joule)
- The amount of storage space required to store this immersion circulator is improved marginally on older models
- You have access to the Anova app with any sous vide immersion circulator in their range. This includes access to a huge sous vide recipe library of over 1000+ recipes for the beginner sous vide cook right through to experienced chefs
- It has a 2-year warranty
- You can remotely control the Nano with your phone, via Bluetooth. Simply download the Anova app to easily monitor, adjust or control the device from your iPhone or Android smart devices. The Nano also provides you cooking notifications while you’re out of the kitchen so you’ll know when your food is ready. The Precision Cooker’s Bluetooth connection allows you to control the device up to 30 feet away
Cons in detail
- The Nano wattage is low (750 watts). That means it is slower at heating water in your water bath. It’s big brother (the 900 watts Anova immersion circulator) which can handle a larger volume of water in a bigger container, heats faster than a smaller container (with the Nano).
- You can’t adjust the depth as you can with the older Anova sous vide immersion circulator models. That means you need to be more selective with the height of the container you’re cooking in. Any pot or container you use needs to be at least 7 inches tall
- Sometimes Bluetooth can be a little flaky if you move too far away from your immersion circulator (this is true of all immersion circulators, not just the Nano). BUT you don’t have to use this technology with your Nano. You can operate it manually as well if that is your preference
- The Nano can only clip onto some pot and container edges. The larger Anova precision cooker models can clip onto a thicker pot or container width, including an Instant Pot liner plus the outer pot
- The larger Anova precision cookers can slide up and down your pot or water container. That means you can position it exactly where you want it. The Nano’s clip does not adjust up and down.
- If technology is your thing, the Nano does not have a Wifi version available. WiFi enables you to operate the sous vide immersion circulator remotely (say from the office before you go home to dinner).
Frequently asked questions about the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker Nano
Does the Nano need WiFi to operate?
Nope. The Nano works with bluetooth technology only. You need to be within 30 feet of the Nano itself for this functionality to work. You cannot operate it remotely (you need WiFi connectivity for that which the Nano does not have). But you can operate it manually if this technology is not your thing.
How many watts of power does the Nano have and what does this actually mean?
The Nano has 750 watts of power as compared to the Anova Culinary WiFi and Bluetooth model which has 900 watts of power. This means it takes longer to heat up your water bath.
It also means that it can only heat a certain amount of water. The Nano can work with up to 5 gallons of water as opposed to the 900 watt version which can work with up to 8 gallons of water.
Can the Nano sit on the bottom of my pot or will that stop it circulating water effectively?
The Nano can sit on the bottom of your pot or water container but it does not have to. The water will circulate evenly regardless.
What is the key difference between the Nano and the original Anova Culinary immersion circulators?
This is a slightly less powerful unit at 750 watts compared to many sous vide immersion circulator models of say 800-900 watts. The Nano is also smaller by a few inches (12.8” vs 14.75”). The Nano can be used manually (ie directly using the decide itself) or via Bluetooth only (ie operated by using an app on your smartphone).
Related article: Do I need a WiFi or Bluetooth enabled sous vide immersion circulator?
Do I have to use the Bluetooth capability of the Anova Nano?
No. You can use it manually or via Bluetooth. Sometimes Bluetooth doesn’t work seamlessly in houses. For example, some people can be on the opposite side of the house to their kitchen and their Bluetooth can lose its connection to their Nano. You always have the option to use it manually instead.
Does the Nano come with a warranty?
Yep. It has a 2 year warranty.
Is the clamp adjustable on the Anova Nano?
No. And for many people this is a major drawback to this sous vide immersion circulator model from Anova. You will find most of the pots you were able to use with the older Anova models will not accommodate this one due to the height of the clamp.
In addition, the pots that are large enough need to be filled almost to the top to be above the minimum line. Check out our section below that covers accessories to see exactly which containers work well with the Anova Nano.
Can I change the temperature reading on the Nano display unit between Celsius and Fahrenheit?
You sure can.
The Nano is listed as 110 volts but my country uses 220 volts at the power point. Is there a 220 volt model of the Nano available?
Not at this stage. The US plug type is 110 volts, and the Nano is meant to be used with just US plugs.
Unfortunately you cannot use a transformer to use the 110V product (US plug type) with a 220V plug type (EU, UK, HK, AU etc). Even if you use a transformer or an adapter, this may cause the device to short out and is not covered by the product warranty.
Anova Nano Accessories
There are many accessories on the market that fit the Anova Culinary range of sous vide immersion circulators. BUT many of those DON’T fit with the Anova Nano so be very careful when you are making your choices. Many product companies selling sous vide accessories will specifically state when their product does not work with the Anova Culinary Nano. Where this is not the case it is a good idea to ask.
Here are some accessories that we know work with the Anova Nano. So if you are looking for a gift for a loved one who has the Nano or you are simply looking to spoil yourself, here are a few ideas:
Anova Nano Case – LTGEM EVA Hard Case Fits for Anova Culinary Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker Nano 750W
This case has been specifically designed for the Nano. You will note that the manufacturer has cases for the larger Anova Culinary sous vide immersion circulators as well. A hard case is a great way to keep your Nano in perfect shape between cooks.
It is particularly great if you travel with your Nano. Don’t laugh, many sous viders don’t go ANYWHERE without their sous vide immersion circulator.
Even if you just looking to store your Nano is your kitchen cupboard or drawer, this case will protect it from dust, dirt and accidental scratching.
EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Lid Compatible with Anova Nano Sous Vide Cooker and Rubbemaid 12,18,22 Qt Sous Vide Container, Corner Mount (Fits Anova Nano Only)
If you are planning to use larger Rubbermaid polycarbonate containers for your sous vide cooking (rather than an existing pot or saucepan in your kitchen), then a custom built lid is a nice luxury to have. It holds your Nano in place on the side of your water bath perfectly.
The lid mentioned above fits the Rubbermaid series of water containers which many sous viders use as their sous vide water bath. These containers (various sizes) can be purchased on Amazon.
If you are used to cooking for a crowd, then the larger Anova sous vide immersion circulators are going to be a better option for you than the Nano. Why? Because the Nano simply doesn’t have the fire power to cook enough food if you need a lot at once.
If you want to cook ribs for a crowd before grilling, the 900W Wifi version can handle 8 gallons of water in a pot or larger water container without stress, whilst keeping the water temperature constant. As mentioned in this review, the Nano handles 6 gallons of water.
But, for a small household or if you tend to create smaller meals, the lower voltage is not likely to matter to you. You will love the small, compact size of this unit.
Technology inclusions are always a bit of a polarizer when it comes to sous vide cooking devices too. Of course if technology is super important to you in your kitchen gadgets, Anova have other models that offer WiFi connectivity so that you can operate your cook remotely.
The Nano is for those folks who prefer to control their cook more closely. You have the flexibility to use the Nano sous vide device manually or using Bluetooth technology. It’s always nice to have a couple of options!
The Anova Nano precison cooker is currently receiving very positive market feedback from those using it, so if it’s wattage is not an issue for you, this is a great model to put on your shortlist.
The Anova Nano on sale?
Look out for sales in your bricks and mortar or online appliance store of choice for a bargain on the Nano. As with all sous vide machines and appliances, the Nano is often on sale somewhere!
Check out our sous vide Product Deals page here to snag a sous vide appliance bargain or two.
To learn more about the world of sous vide cooking join the Sous Vide Hub community by clicking here. We share hints, tips, product reviews, product sales and much, much more to connect the worldwide sous vide cooking community together.